Apprenticeships

New for 2017

Apprenticeships are going through a huge reform. The way that they are funded has also changed. Here we try to explain what is happening and who pays for the Apprenticeship training now. Read on to see how it is different for small and large employers.

Non Levy – What does it mean?

A change to how apprenticeships will be funded.
A change to how apprenticeships look – giving flexibility and choice.
No limit to the amount of apprentices you can employ.

Main differences are:

If your company has a wage bill of less than £3 million the following changes happened in May 2017:

  • Have you got less than 50 staff? If you employ apprentices 16-18 years old, their apprenticeship will be fully funded – you pay nothing for the training.
  • If you have more than 50 staff, or take on an apprentice over 18 years old, the government requires you to co-invest into their training. This will be 10% of the training cost with the government contributing the other 90%. That is a bargain.
  • Financial Incentives are also available for your business for EVERY apprentice you take on aged 16-18 years – £1000 per apprentice paid to you in 2 instalments. That is even better!

We are gaining expertise in the apprenticeship reforms and will happily continue to support employers though the funding maze.

For more information, please call 0800 0902155 to book a call with one of our experts.


Apprenticeship Levy – What does it mean?

If your company has a wage bill of more than £3 million the following changes happened in April 2017:

From 1 April 2017 larger employers pay a levy payment for apprenticeship training of 0.5% of their total wage bill direct through HMRC. There is a small government allowance to offset the levy payment.

Your funding pot:

  • This levy payment will create a pot of funding for you to use to upskill existing members of staff through an apprenticeship programme or to take on new apprentices.
  • This can be used for both, current and future apprenticeship programmes.
  • Financial Incentives are also available for your business for EVERY apprentice you take on aged 16-18 years – £1000 per apprentice paid to you in 2 instalments. This is to encourage you to take on a young person.
  • Your levy payments will be available to you for a maximum of 24 months. So we advise you to get thinking about how you can spend it as soon as you can.
  • Once you have used your pot of funding, you can still continue to take on apprentices with a co-investment from yourself and the government.

We are gaining expertise in the apprenticeship reforms and will happily continue to support employers though the funding maze.

Duncan McAuslandTo find out more please call: 07590 227002 and speak to Duncan McAusland or email: [email protected]

You can also fill in this form if you would like to know more details and we will contact you as soon as possible. We welcome any enquiries.

Yes
No