Dementia Training – The Glass is Half Full.
Comprehensive practical and theory training suitable for all levels.
Our ‘Dementia Training – The Glass is Half Full’ 2-day course has been designed to equip your team with the required skills to support those with the long-term medical condition known as Dementia.
By the end of this training session, you will understand and have taken part in discussions and activities in the following topics:
- What is Dementia? – Common conditions and associated side effects.
- The importance of person centred care.
- How to support people living with Dementia.
- How to communicate effectively.
- The importance of activity/occupation and positive interactions when working with people who have Dementia.
- How to facilitate and develop Life Stories for customers with Dementia.
- The importance of equality, diversity, inclusion and decision making.
- Bad care practices and negative attitudes.
- The Mental Capacity Act and how to relate it to scenarios.
- Behaviour that can challenge – Understanding how to support customers before situations escalate.
- Support networks available for themselves, their customers and families/carers of the customer.
- How to recognise when to sign post or seek help from other agencies and where to raise concerns.
Available at any of our South West locations or at a suitable workplace of your choice for groups of 4-8.
Delivered by our experience tutor, Pat…
“My name is Patricia Britten, I am a registered nurse and have a degree in Gerontological Nursing. I have been working in Care Homes since 1993 and was a Manager for 16 years. I have a lot of experience working with people living with Dementia. I feel passionate about care and believe that good training is essential, care staff need to have the knowledge and understanding of how the disease affects people to be able to give good evidence based, compassionate care. I feel that as a trainer I am now able to give some of my knowledge and experience back to carers to assist them in their care career.”